Doctor Issues Warning Over Tradie's Freak Burn From Safety Shirt

dgfs.jpg

A Doctor in Perth has issued a warning to all tradies after a patient suffered first-degree burns from a reflective strip on his high-vis work shirt.

The 40-year-old environmental engineer went to the emergency department of Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital complaining of a painful red rash across his back.

Iona Vlad examined the man, who had noticed the burn when undressing at home after a day working outside in the sun.

The tradie had suffered a large first-degree burn from the reflective strip across his yellow high-vis safety shirt.

3e6ff595b78926bb0c594ad56f25662b.webp

This appears to be the first reported case of skin burns from the overheating of reflective tape in safety clothing, he said.

While the case wasn’t life-threatening, it did cause discomfort for a few days. The burn was managed with emollient aloe vera cream and a simple analgesia.

You may also like