The design for the new $100 million secondary school in Whyalla has been revealed with the school set to combine the three existing government schools in the region.
The new school build is part of the Marshall Liberal Government’s massive statewide investment in schools, which includes $1.3 billion in capital works funding.
Key features of the design of the new Whyalla secondary school include:
- A 3 story build with a STEM focused design
- Contemporary learning spaces, multi-level outdoor learning and social spaces
- A landscaped plaza at ground level
- Double court gymnasium, expansive sporting fields and courts that can be utilised by the community
- Performing arts theatre and outdoor amphitheatre
Located on Nicolson Avenue between the local University of South Australia and TAFE SA campuses, the new school will offer a world-class learning environment for 1500 students in Year 7 to 12 with strong links to further study options.
Construction is anticipated to commence in early to mid-2020, with the school opening in Term 1, 2022. The school will replace Edward John Eyre, Stuart and Whyalla High Schools.